Thursday, May 7, 2009

lesson learned!

Why is it that GOSSIP is such a prominent part of people's "to do" list?? I absolutely hate it, and find it extremely disgusting. The saddest part is that I know I participate in it much more frequently than I even realize. For example, last night:
I'm listening to a couple of people talk about an issue with someone, and I kind of shook my head along with them and said things like 'really?'.....'wow, that's interesting'. I was totally blind to the fact we were gossiping until I figured out the person that they were badmouthing was someone I knew quite well!! At that precise moment I got very defensive, and upset that they would even be describing this person in such a manner. And then it hit me, WOW, how many times have i had participated in conversations just like this one, and I just listened because I didn't really know the person being 'gossiped' about! I wonder if ANY of those past talks were even remotely accurate!!!


I was so surprised by my findings that I think I shocked the poor ladies telling me the story. I might have even embarrassed them with how defensive I got, totally wasn't my intention! I don't even really speak to the person they were talking about anymore, but I felt extremely compelled to express my feelings.

I just really hope I don't forget how I felt last night, and I can recognize when gossiping is going on right in front of my face! I know it's something everyone could probably work on, especially me!!

6 comments:

Krause Crew said...

Ditto. It is something I need to work on too.

The Tieman Family said...

I hate gossipping too, but you're so right... I just get sucked in without even thinking about it.

Steven and Chelsea said...

I think the reason we're not supposed to gossip is because we just don't realize how bad it can get!! i have had this same experience...just going along and then BAM! you realize you're gossiping about someone you know! and it's usually false gossip too! we all need to work on it i think.

Kelly said...

Thanks Becky...that is a lesson I think we all can benefit from...I know that I can for sure.

Dawn said...

You are such a good sweet person Becky. I love you! I know what you mean about getting caught up in other peoples STUFF! Happens to me all the time. I get in trouble and misunderstandings happen. It is awful! you are wonderful!

Dawn said...

Good for you! Speaking out is hard to do.